Antivirus programs are software designed to protect your device from contacting any possible threat or damage from unwanted malware. An example of which is the Avast Antivirus.
Avast antivirus is high-quality free antivirus software that provides its users with malware blocking, phishing security, among others. However, like other antivirus software, it is not without its issues, such as its susceptibility to bugs, which can be problematic for its users.
If you use this software, there is a possibility you will experience the Avast error we will discuss in this article. This is the Avast “AV service is not responding” error, and it mostly occurs after you update your Avast antivirus software.
On completing the update process, you have to restart your computer and relaunch the software. (This is usually done so that the updated software files will be appropriately integrated into the computer’s database.) After relaunching the software, the “AV Service is not responding” error will appear on the screen. Also, the “Exit” and “Restart-Service” will be presented along with the error message.
It would be best if you had antivirus software installed on your computer for its safety. Therefore, you have to address this issue as soon as possible to prevent harm to your computer.
Why Does This Error Occur?
This error occurs for several reasons, which include the following:
- In an article published on the company’s website, the Antivirus developers confirmed that an incorrect Windows Services Configuration triggers the error. If your computer uses the Windows 10 version, you don’t have to bother about it as Avast has fixed the error with the new Windows. However, you have to sort it out yourself if you use the Windows 8 version.
- Secondly, the error may occur as a result of damaged or corrupted Avast Installation files.
- Lastly, some third-party applications may be incompatible with the antivirus program, which may prompt this issue on your computer.
How Do I Resolve The “Avast AV Is Not Responding” Error?
There are several commonly used solutions to this error, some of which are mentioned below. But first, you may want to try restarting your computer or quitting and relaunching the software. If nothing happens, then try the following methods:
Configure the Remote Desktop Startup Type to Automatic
Changing the remote desktop startup type to automatic can be the solution to the problem on both Windows 10 and Windows 8. To do this, you have to ensure you follow the steps mentioned above appropriately.
- First, open the Run dialog box by clicking Windows + R. After that, type “services.msc,” then click Enter or Ok.
- Next, you have to locate the “Remote Desktop Services” in the Services window.
- Double-click on this option to access its properties.
- Proceed to the General tab. There, you’ll find the “Startup type.”
- Hover on this option for a drop-down list, and select the “Automatic” option.
- After that, save the changes you’ve made by clicking on “Apply.”
- Finally, restart the computer to allow it to update the changes.
Then, relaunch Avast and confirm whether it still has the AV service is not responding error.
Repair the Avast Application
Sometimes, you will be unable to resolve the Avast error using the method above. When that happens, you have to repair the Avast application by paying attention to the following steps:
- Proceed to the Control Panel. You can search for it or click on it in the Windows Settings.
- Set the View option to Category.
- Select the Uninstall a Program option, which is present in the Program selection.
- Thereafter, identify the Avast application and right-click it.
- Proceed to the “Repair” option and click on it. Then, Windows will ask if you have a file from which you want to repair the computer on the computer. Or if it can choose a file from the internet itself.
- Afterward, proceed to the Windows Automatic Search option and click on it.
- At this point, allow Windows some time to locate available updates that will help you to repair the Avast application.
When the process is complete, restart your computer and relaunch the software to confirm whether the error persists or not.
Reinstall the Avast Application
If the two solutions mentioned above do not work, then the last thing you can do is uninstall the Avast application and reinstall it. It is best to hope that this method works as it is the most superior of all the ways and the last one.
To reinstall the Avast application on your computer, do the following:
- Proceed to the Control Panel.
- Change the View option to Category if it is not there.
- Then, select the Uninstall a Program option, which is in the Program section.
- Then, try to locate the Avast application and right-click on it.
- Click on Uninstall.
- After you’ve completely uninstalled the application, Avast will ask that you restart your computer.
When your PC is back on, proceed to reinstall the antivirus application. To do this, you have to:
- Open your browser and head to the Avast official site.
- Install the Avast application.
- Launch it to confirm if the problem has been resolved.
The aforementioned is all you can do to resolve the AV service is not responding error. However, if these solutions are unable to solve the error, consider contacting Avast Customer Support to request for help.